Friday, June 24, 2011

Freedom Ranger Chick Update and How To Weigh a Chicken

Can You Believe It?

We're guessing these guys weight about three pounds. But since I want 6-7 pound birds, we're going to give it a few more weeks. I switched their feed to a higher protein mix to help them put on the desired weight.

How do I know how much they weigh? In the past we've used my son's fishing scale. It's a nifty little device that you hook the fish through the gills with and hang it to weigh. When I asked to borrow it again, he said he broke it but that I could get one at WalMart for $3-4. I'm going to look next time I'm up that way.

Anyway, we hang a 5-gallon bucket on the scale and take note of its weight. Then we put a chicken in the bucket. We subtract the weight of the bucket from the total. I once tried to use a plastic grocery bag so that I didn't have to mess around with subtracting the weights. But a chicken has sharp claws that go right through a plastic grocery bag. So don't try that. Your chicken will fall right through onto the ground.

I'm dreaming of fried chicken...chicken pot pie...chicken stew...

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! One that we can definately use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Monica. Feel free to share it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're on our third flock of Freedom Rangers now. I like them so much better than the Cornish Cross birds we raised last year!

    We use the fish-scale to weigh ours, too. When it's time to sell or butcher, the only time we weigh ours, my husband ties their legs and then hangs them on the scale from that. The scale isn't the most accurate, but it's been working well enough for now. Will share the bucket idea with him and see thinks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Wendy. Not sure my boys would want to tie feet together so I think we'll stick with the bucket. Glad to hear someone likes these birds. The Cornish Cross just lay like sloths and you practically have to spoon feed them they're so lazy. These Freedom Rangers are flying over the fence!

    ReplyDelete