Monday, June 27, 2011

Garden Update







I know I've been updating you on the garden in the sidebar. But I couldn't help but show you what I've been doing. So here are a bunch of pictures for you to see.

Now, you know why I don't do pictures very often. I really think this is the unfriendliest part of Blogger. :-|

I can never get my pictures to go where I want them. So for this montage I will just keep typing away and let the pictures fall where they will!

So, from my standpoint, we have potatoes in the upper left. This is one of three rows in this garden, then we have a couple more rows in garden #2.

Next over is corn. I guess that is pretty obvious. They always say "knee high by the 4th of July" and I guess mine's made it.

Moving to the right is the beet row. It doesn't look that great. I think that a bunch of seeds got washed away in all the heavy rains. But that's okay. I get another chance in the fall.

Next, on the left, growing up the trellis is the cucumbers. We've already picked one and these plants are loaded. They are also climbing up the other side of the arch.

To the right of that, in the tires, is my 10 year old's tomato plants. I did not want to plow up any more earth so this is his way of being resourceful.


Next on the left is one row of cabbages. I took the row cover off them because it had cabbage moths underneath it! SIGH! Now I have to go out every day and look for little worms.

To the right of the cabbages is the Brussels sprouts. I had to take the row cover off them because they were getting too tall. That is why they look like someone sat on them. I have little sprouts about marble size in there. We are so excited. This is our first try at Brussels.

Then, this last picture is of my tomato row. That's it. I did NOT plant
75 tomato plants this year. Let's see how these do.

This garden measures 25x75 feet. It is the size of my house!
We have another patch in the back with potatoes, zucchini, and
more greens.

What did I not show you? Green beens, bird's egg beans, and peppers.
They just weren't very photogenic. Plus I bet you're tired of my garden by now.

I hope you've enjoyed my show and tell. How is your garden doing?
My husband keeps saying, "This is your best garden yet!" I tell him the proof is in the pudding. Hopefully in a month or so I will be complaining about all the canning and freezing I have to do. Without my daughter--who got a job!

Blessings,

9 comments:

  1. Your garden looks wonderful. :) Our garden is coming along and will hopefully have more than enough to share with others. Daughter cooked up some Swiss chard last night and marveled at how well it was growing. I saw beans yesterday, so I expect we will be picking the rows by Friday, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I only have three tractor tires that I have filled and planted...doing good. I will be posting my garden update soon! I have green peppers and onions ready. Everything else looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.
    Donna...I LOVE Swiss chard!
    Monica...I didn't even think to plant onions. SIGH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Carol! Why not 75 tomato plants? :) Did u have an over abundance last year? I'm just curious what it yielded, as 2 yrs ago I had 72 beautiful tomato plants, but they got the blight and we lost the whole row. I haven't had as much success with my tom. seedlings since then; and have sort of lost heart. :| Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kathy. I had to come to grips with the fact that I will never be a tomato farmer. I've spent so much time and energy on my tomatoes only to have them succumb to blight, blossom end rot, hail damage, you name it. Plus, I realized that all those tomatoes I can and put in our food get picked out of everything I serve to be scraped off of plates into the scrap bucket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol -

    Wow! I'm super impressed with your gardening prowess.

    My tiny plot is a 4 X 4 raised bed and contains two tomato plants (which the groundhog is already checking out), some green bell peppers, and an eggplant.

    How do you handle pests like groundhogs?

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Susan. My sister grows a garden in a 4x4. For two people, that can be enough.
    Groundhogs? My boys take care of them...:-|. Personally, I think they're cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did enjoy your show and tell! It looks wonderful! My garden is doing well, thank you. Need to get out there and do a little weeding, but otherwise am excited this year too.

    Have a good week,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Karen. Last year was sooo dry that I was a bit skeptical about ever gardening again. But God has truly blessed us with the rain this year!

    ReplyDelete