Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Do Your Children Have Weeds?


This morning while pulling weeds I was just busting with pride over the garden. I want so much for you all to come over and gloat with me at how beautiful everything looks. You have to remember that last year my garden suffered from neglect because I was working outside the home. We also suffered with drought.

However, this spring God has blessed us with an over-abundance of rain. The Shenandoah river has overflowed its banks three times. And, not only do I have beautiful green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbages, etc., I also have weeds that are flourishing.

This one is my worst nightmare. Spiny amaranth is its name. We never had any until we took some horse manure from a neighbor. My guess is that the seeds came in that manure. The first year it was everywhere. I had so much trouble eliminating it. Now, it's not as bad. Fortunately, this fine specimen was discovered in the compost bin. My seven year old dug it out and put it in the fire pit. Burning is the only way to deal with it. This weed is such a nightmare because it has thorns that are hard as nails and sharp as needles. They are camouflaged as well. There is no getting them out without a shovel.

Anyway, as I was dealing with the other less dangerous weeds in the potatoes this morning, I realized that as beautiful as my garden is, I do tend a more important garden. That is the garden of my children's hearts. As a mother, my children are a garden that I tend to daily, hourly, even by the minute. And if that garden is not beautiful, then I have failed as a mother.

So, while bending over those potatoes, that still, small voice whispered in my ear, "Do your children have weeds?"

"Do my children have weeds?" I asked back. "Let me think about that one."

Tattling, whining, sneaking, ignoring my voice, teasing..."Yes, Lord, my children have weeds."

So, as a conscientious mother, it is my job to pull those weeds. I use various tools for the job. Sometimes, it's just a talk. Sometimes, it's a story. Sometimes, the tool is a little less pleasant. But as any gardener will tell you, if the handles of your tools are not secure, the job is more difficult. That is why the "handle" holding all my child-weeding tools is the Word of God.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. --Hebrews 4:12

Something to ponder...do your children have weeds? How do you get them out?

Blessings to you,

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes! Very good point! weeding the garden of our children's hearts is as constant as weeding our veggie garden. For some reason this post has given me a strange "quiet". I know that I must "dig in" and that I am not alone. All good mothers are doing the same. Thank you Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Monica, for saying so. May I be as attentive to my children as I am to my beets and broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Carol, for the reminder of what those 'things' are in our children's hearts! It's especially hard when the child doesn't seem them as a prickly and ugly weed. But with prayer and much attentiveness to the weed, the Lord is faithful to help them! We praise the Lord for seeing that happen just recently! :) Love ya, KathyM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! This reminds me of when I needed to teach my sons when they were little to speak kind words to one another using Proverbs 16:24 'Pleasant words [are as] an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.' When I caught them being sweet to each other, I gave them each a chunk of honeycomb dripping with its sweet nectar (they loved it). HOWEVER, I warned them that if I caught them speaking UNkind words, they would receive a mouthful of dry mustard powder. It worked.Love to you, Carol, and your beautiful family from Lyn Melvin (for some reason the blogosphere is not accepting my Google account so posted as Anonymous!?)

    ReplyDelete